Sunday, March 7, 2010

The Spirit of Elijah goes to Hollywood...

Ok, so my brother-in-law introduced us to a new show on NBC called Who Do You Think You Are and it is basically famous people doing genealogy to find out about their ancestors. Tonight we were introduced to the first episode of the new series. Sarah Jessica Parker was looking to find out about her ancestors and found that one of them followed the gold rush out to California as a minor in 1850 and another one was accused in the Salem Witch Trials in 1692. She was kind of dramatic about it all but the show featured ancestry.com and got us excited about our geneology.

After watching it, we went to new.familysearch.org and spent probably an hour looking at our ancestors. It was great! I learned that some of my great great grandparents were from Sweden and Denmark and only a few generations back! I knew that I had Swedish and Danish ancestors, but not that recently. My ancestors also came from Holland (which is where my maiden name is from) and England. We even traced some back to 700 A.D. to Counts and Dutchesses in England. We even found some names we can take to the temple, all from sitting on my laptop in the living room. Gotta love it!

1 comment:

  1. I heard about that show and it sounds really interesting. And I just started the family history class for Sunday School and I am really excited to learn more about doing genealogy.

    ReplyDelete